Tuesday 9 September 2014

Lock in

I've been adding lots of buildings in Hull. Tracing from imagery is a bit tedious, but I have got into a rhythm. Adding the house numbers I find easier with a printed map with the buildings already drawn then I can note significant points like house numbers near junctions, any extras (like 4a), any gaps in numbering and whether there is a 13 or not. I was working on Beverley Road. Wanted some shopping so I decided to go shopping there, so I could see the layout of the shops as well as any numbering. I also remembered a couple of developments that were worth looking at to see if they were accessible.

I went to The Jacobs Homes off Askew Avenue. The place was complete, smart
and easy to go round, number one complete. Then I went to The Sidings. This is still only partly complete, with two road names (neither called The Sidings of course, this was a railway goods yard many, many years ago). One small road joined these two named ones - I got its name from a house number with the street name under it. Number two complete. I then set off towards the junction between Beverley Road and Cottingham Road to look at the shops and buy a few things.

Before I got to the shops I saw a yellow board with a development name on it I didn't recognise, Scholars Gate, so I followed it. The development is far from complete but a substantial number of houses have been built and many look occupied. Once again no name board, but once again a house number had the road name on it so I could get the details. Number three complete.

When I got to Cottingham Road shops I took lots of photos of the shop fronts from across the street, got asked what I was doing and handed out a leaflet about OSM. When I'd done my shopping I set off for home.

I noticed another new development off Cottingham Road. When I had turned round and got back to it I realised it was gated and the gate was shut. The sign said Chancellor's Court (private road). As I sat in front of the gate I saw a sensor on a wall inside the gate and guessed that if I could get in, the sensor would open the gates to let me out. Just then a van pulled up near the gates at the otherside and they opened, so I drove in, hoping I was right. I drove down the road, turned at the end and set off out. The gates didn't open. I sat near them waiting for someone else to open the gates and a few seconds later a car pulled past me and the gates opened. I followed the car out and my lock in was over. Number four complete.

As I drove home I saw another yellow board for a development, this time in Cottingham at Cleminson Gardens. I had added bit of the development when it was first accessible. Now the whole road loop is accessible and most of the houses look complete and occupied. That completed number five.

No comments: