Monday 30 April 2012

Fungus

Fungus Auricularia auricula-judae
I'm working my way through Yorkshire Wildlife Trust nature reserves, there are 85 public reserves spread across Yorkshire, so it will take a while. Some are bigger than others and today I visited probably the smallest, Keldmarsh. It is less than half a hectare, next to a school and a housing estate on the outskirts of the market town of Beverley. There was evidence of the locals to be seen, some broken glass and the remnants of a bonfire with logs and blocks drawn up around it as seats. I mapped the wood, the boundary of the reserve, as best as I can, and the single path in it. You can see my estimates here. The YWT website hints at a pond, but even after the substantial rain over the last month there was no sign of standing water. A couple of common birds, a few early bluebells and some meadowsweet to catch my attention, until I came across a fallen branch with excellent fungi on it.

No comments: